6/10/2004

Peace and Noise


 Posted by Hello

I tend to be closed-minded when it comes to things outside my comfort zone. It comes from fear. Fear that I won't get it. I didn't watch the X-Files for the first few seasons, even though it looked interesting, because I wasn't sure I'd get it. I never sought out Bob Dylan or the Sex Pistols or watched Apocalypse Now because I was born too late to truely appreciate them. I was born in the very late 60s. When the end came in Vietnam my main concern was what time Sesame Street came on. Sex Pistols? The Clash? At 9 years old? No thanks, I'll take the Bee Gees.

That said, I was a little intimidated to go see Patti Smith. From what little I knew, this woman is intense, literate, and outspoken. This is NOT "C is for Cookie." I was totally pleasantly surprised. The crowd was polite and eclectic (great for people watching!), and Patti Smith was excellent. Maybe I still don't fully appreciate the music and the feeling behind it, but it's nice to know that it's there within my reach when I decide I want to get to know it better.