10/06/2004

Tonight I went to a Job Fair

Last night was "parent's night" at a local high school's opportunity fair. Although the guidance office assured me that lots of local businesses would be there, it was for all intents and purposes, a college fair. The two local businesses found our tables in the back corner, sandwiched between the Job Center booth and the Occupational Rehab booth. I had lots of time to bond with the local manager that I had taken with me, since no parent in their right mind wanted to explore our company as a post-high school opportunity instead of college.

Manager: Do you think we'll get out of here on time? I want to make it home in time to watch Nip/Tuck.

*general conversation about the sad state of tv*

Me: My television is always on when I'm home in the evenings, but I'm never really paying attention. I spend that time online instead.

Manager: What do you do online?

Me: Read. I'll read anything. I'll read for hours. I can spend three hours on Amazon going from review to review, or Ebay. Then there's this whole genre of writing out there...blogs...are you familiar with that term?

Manager: uh, no.

Me: Well, it's hard to define, but many people have their own sites and they just write. Some write about their political opinions, some list links to sites they've found, some write more of a personal journal type thing.

Manager: People write diary-type stuff and put it online?

Me: Oh yeah. And I read the same ones every day. It does sort of get to be like a television series...I visit these people's sites every day to see what's going on with them.

Manager: And they are like diaries? People just write stuff like "Tonight I Went to a Job Fair..."?

Me: Yes. Exactly!

Mananger: Who the hell would want to read stuff like that?

Me: According to my site stats, noone.

Manager: What?

Me: Nothing.