9/08/2004

Spoooooky

The VIM and I have been spending a lot of time reading in bed. Nine times out of ten, though, I forget to take my book with me to his house and I end up picking through his pile of "to reads" to find something that suits my mood.

That's how I came to finish The Complete Idiot's Guide to Past Life Regression last night.

As I put the book back on the pile (right below a Jimi Hendrix bio and on top of the owner's manual for the new Pig Nose Amp), the VIM asked me what I thought of the book. Was I going to try the past life regression thing?

I was about half embarrassed to admit that yeah, I wanted to try it. Had tried it, as a matter of fact, the night before, but I didn't think it was successful.

"Why don't you think it worked?"

"Well, I was able to relax and sort of get into the zone. I imagined a library, then me picking a book off the shelf and opening it up...but then I think I just drifted off into one of those weird verge-of-sleep dreams."

"What did you dream?"

"I dreamed about a 1920s-era car. A man and a woman in this car, a-hellin' down a dirt path out of a wooded area into a meadow at about 25 miles per hour. The woman was laughing."

Silence.

I looked up to see if he had drifted off to sleep while I was talking, but he was awake. Just looking at me.

"You're shitting me, right?"

"Uh, no."

"Last week I was meditating and I drifted off into this dream about driving a 1920s car in the woods by a lake."

I've never had goosebumps like that before. I turned off the light and slid into bed. We scratched around until we found each other's hand. We haven't said a word about it since.