6/23/2004

Relativity

Ever since I went back to work after vacation I've been buried. This is unfortunate, since I have several projects going on which all happen to be due this week. Not "well, I can't quite get it done this week, I'll give it to you as soon as I have it" due...I'm talking deadline due. Getting them all completed would have been tough enough. Add to that the "I've been gone for a week" pile of normal stuff to catch up on, AND meeting with the co-worker that's leaving to go over the new stuff I'll be doing, AND last minute stuff for a community service project I somehow got roped into, and honestly...I'm a mess. I understand that this isn't the norm. Somehow this is just the Paperwork Planets lining up and a bad moon rising. But I'm still a mess.

One of the projects I'm working on is a video for new employees. We already have one "shoot" in and had another one scheduled for yesterday. The videographer didn't show up. I called his business and he didn't answer. I waited in case he was stuck in traffic. I was steaming. Here I was, spending 15 perfectly good minutes trying to run down the damn videographer when I could have been doing something worthwhile! I finally got in touch with him. He had gotten the date wrong. He promised he'd be right in. I was polite, (I'm always polite. It's the curse of a Good Girl.) but I was pissed. Stuff like that always happens to me. It's ok if I want to waste my time, but I don't like other people doing it.

I thought I was having the mother of all bad days, what with all the inconveniences and deadlines and such. I found out later that "bad day" is a relative term. As it turns out, not long before I called the videographer to find out where he was, his wife left him, (I mean "this isn't working out" kind of left...not "I'm going to work, see you this afternoon" kind of left) then, as he was trying to sort everything out, I called and let him know he was late for our appointment.

Nice, huh?

Suddenly my piles of paperwork don't look so bad.