7/11/2004

Dead Tired, but Deep

The VIM and I have a unique exercise program:

He suggests things to do (bike riding).
He encourages me by buying equipment I may not have (a bike).
Smiles and cheers and acts all proud when I tell him I went out on my own and did 13 miles.
He suggests we kick it up the next week by going 22 miles.
He encourages me when I say I absolutely cannot do 22 miles.
He rides with me the entire 22 miles, even though we are going so slow he can barely keep his bike from wobbling back and forth.
He tells me how proud he is of me when we're done.
He suggests we kick it up the next week by going 32 miles.
He encourages me when I say I absolutely cannot do 32 miles.
He rides with me the entire 32 miles.
He tells me how proud he is of me when we're done.

I've had people in my life tell me that they see a lot of wasted potential in me. Why are you such a slacker? Why don't you have goals? Why don't you push yourself? Don't you want to BE someone? DO something?

The truth is, I've never had anyone do more than that - Point out the wasted, unnamed potential. I've never had anyone encourage me or push me. I've never had anyone beside me, at times turning my vision to focus on the goal, and at other times, distracting me from the goal, reminding me to enjoy the moment. Right Now.

I understand that I don't NEED someone there. The potential is mine and mine alone, whether it be fitness, business, whatever. But it's so much nicer to have someone with me.

Thanks VIM.